About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Friday, March 14, 2008

School Belle

So I've got a school reunion coming up. And I've kind of said I'll go. And I kind of want to go. But only in the way that you can't really stop yourself from looking when you see the motorway in front of you closed and an upside-down Mini on the hard shoulder.

Also, I'm on holiday until literally about five hours before, landing at Heathrow early afternoon before the event is due to take place in the evening in Loughborough. So rather than glamorous and gorgeous, I'm likely to be jetlagged and arsey. Still, "Sorry I'm late - I just got back from Canada," sounds OK.

A couple of my close friends are going (though Katy Who Smells of Wee has apparently said she'd rather slit her throat with a rusty toenail, or words to that effect, and Selfish Hazel says she can't really make the trip back from New Zealand just for one evening. Lazy. I'm coming all the way from Canada, after all.). I am glad I have some friends coming, because events like these always bring out the sarcasm in me. And let's be honest, sarcasm is never very far away from me. It's nice to be able to share the sarcasm.

Most people at school were lovely, and it will be interesting to see how we've all grown up - or otherwise. There were just one or two... "Annabelles". The type who (probably through insecurity) just can't resist telling you how much better their life is than yours. There's one particularly irritating Annabelle, who I think I've mentioned before, who updates her Facebook status practically hourly with messages such as, "Annabelle is shocked at the cost of insuring her Rolls Royce", "Annabelle is deciding whether to spend the weekend at her country mansion or to take the helicopter to Monte Carlo" or "Annabelle is realising she really can have it all".

I can always smile though, remembering the moment in Maths where she called our teacher "Dad".

Maybe he was. That would explain a lot.

So, flight-dependent, I am planning on attending the reunion. The worst part is I won't easily be able to Plog about the ins and outs, as my Plog is linked to my Facebook page and lots of school chums can read. I don't think for a moment Annabelle has enough self-awareness to realise she's Annabelle but you never know. Someone might point it out to her. She might set her butler on me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I do think it is unreasonable of Hazel not to join you - she has just popped over to Australia, so what is wrong with a another 24 hour flight to come to LHS! She could still wear the beautiful blue dress that is hanging in the wardrobe at the parental home not worn since a dim and distant Ball in the 6th form when she was pursued by a chap whose eyebrows nearly met in the middle of his forehead, I really cannot understand why she is not on the next flight.

On the plus side you can have a good gossip about her while she is not there. Enjoy!

Hazel's Mum

Laura said...

Hazel's Mum,

A chap with a monobrow?

To be fair, looking at the candidates from the Grammar School, that doesn't really narrow it down.

L x