About Me

My photo
Feel free to drop me a line at laura.nunn@gmail.com

Monday, December 08, 2008

Sex-ism

Apparently the average person in their lifetime will have sex with 10.5 people. I'm resisting the obvious joke about the 0.5 (lots of dwarves getting action etc. etc.).


I found this information at http://www.durex.com/cm/gss2004Content.asp?intQid=401

There are a few things that interest me about this. Firstly, the Chinese seem quite a lot more slutty than the rest of the world - and the Japanese, despite that coy thing they do so well, are also far more promiscuous than even Americans.


What interests me most is this. Worldwide, men report having 12.4 partners. Women report having 7.2. Now, Maths was always one of my weaker subjects at school and I certainly wouldn't claim to be a statistician, but how on earth does this work? Surely, making the (reasonable) assumption we're talking exclusively about male/female sex, the numbers must match up. Because even if there's just one really whorey woman doing every single bloke in the world, her average would bring up the men's average too.


Someone, clearly, is lying.

But why? I can understand a certain amount of reluctance to divulge this sort of personal information, but if you're willing to be interviewed for such a survey, one assumes you'd be fairly honest. And I imagine the people conducting the survey didn't insist that you answered the question in front of all your mates in your workplace whilst people pointed and laughed at your genitals. Though I'll admit I haven't researched this facet that thoroughly.

So, is it the men, or is it the women? Are the men including any contact they've ever had with a woman in order to bolster their numbers (i.e. "I SO could have touched her breast if I'd wanted to - so she counts") or is it the women editing out the mingers? (i.e. "He was ugly and I was drunk so that totally doesn't count at all.")

Or are the definitions of sex different for men and women? For men, if she brushes past his penis on the tube, does that count?

Something isn't adding up. So I'm going to conduct my own survey. Well, I'm going to try. Sexual partners. Tell me how many. Totally anonymous. Use the comments box. Say if you're male or female. Try to remember not to sign in, or we'll all know how studly you are. I'll might even add my own once there are enough comments to be able to hide in the mix. BE HONEST. Go.

Oh, and as this is a "lifetime" survey of partners, it would really help if you're never going to have sex again, just so I can be sure the data is correct. Oh all right then, vote anyway.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

5. Female.

Anonymous said...

If there were 12 women in a room and 7 men and they all took turns sleeping together, then each woman would have slept with 7 and each man with 12.

Ok, in the world the male/female split is almost 50/50. That just means in my example that there are 5 more men in the room who are either gay or too weird to sleep with.

My head hurts.

3 - Female

Laura said...

But surely the five guys who are gay or too weird to sleep with would bring the average down.

So if there are 12 of both men and women in a room, but only 7 of the men have sex, each man who has had sex has slept with 12 women, but 5 of the guys bring the average down by sleeping with 0 women. Surely?

This definitely ought to be a GCSE Maths Higher Paper question.

Keep your stats coming - and either I have an exclusively female readership or else the men are shyer.

L x

Anonymous said...

14. Female.

Anonymous said...

8. Female.

Anonymous said...

1 -why look around when you've found the best?
Female

Anonymous said...

602. Male.

Theory proved.